Cornelison has worked for the Town of Oro Valley since 2010, when he was first hired as a management intern while working on his master of public administration (MPA) degree. Upon graduation, he was hired as the constituent services coordinator/management assistant, and later promoted to assistant to the town manager in 2013.
“I have had the opportunity to see Chris transition and grow over the last seven years, first as an intern and then as assistant to the town manager,” said Mayor Satish I. Hiremath. “His professionalism, relationship-building and passion to serve this community are some of the many reasons I fully support his promotion.”
“During the eight-plus months I have been the interim town manager,” added Sharp, “I have found Chris to have the skills, integrity, work ethic and temperament to handle this new position. He will be integral in continuing to move the organization forward.”
About Chris Cornelison
- During his seven years with the Town of Oro Valley, Chris has been broadly involved with Town management and operations, serving across multiple disciplines, both locally and regionally.
- Town lead for development of 2015 Strategic Plan and assisted with 2017 Strategic Plan
- Member of the Your Voice, Our Future (General Plan) Scoping Committee
- Member of the Town’s Executive Leadership Team
- Served on the management committee which successfully negotiated a Memorandum of Understanding with the Police Officers Association
- Intergovernmental relations staff liaison for the Town of Oro Valley regarding legislative affairs, working with state and congressional representatives
- Serves on the Town Manager’s Budget Team
- Oversees the Youth Advisory Council, constituent services and the management intern program
- Recently appointed to manage oversight of the Town’s annexation efforts
- Town of Oro Valley representative for Pima County Animal Care and negotiating an intergovernmental agreement for animal care services
- Chairman for the Arizona City/County Management Association 2017 Winter Conference Planning Committee
- Member of the International City/County Management Association and member of Arizona City/County Management Association
Chris Cornelison holds an MPA from the University of Arizona, with a dual focus on finance and local government. He also holds a bachelor’s degree with a double major in criminal justice administration and public management and policy from the UA Eller College of Management. He and his wife, Doctor Bernadette Cornelison, pharmacy operations senior manager for Banner University Medical Center, live in Oro Valley with their Great Dane, Auggie.